Monday, December 13, 2010

"All that was ever ours..."

I am reading a book by Elisabeth Elliot entitled "All that was ever ours...Meditations on Faith and Character."
Just 50 pages in and i already whole heartedly recomend it to anyone and everyone! It is a collection of various essays she has written over the years.
In one of the essays, she quotes Sir Joshua Reynolds with a statement that took me by surprise and is packed with a gut level honesty. ‎"There is no expedient to which man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking."
Just glancing through my memory at the many things that i should take more time to meditate on, i can see that the fact that i usually find anything and everything that can distract me from really focusing proves this statement to be true in my own life. This break, i hope to meditate and pray through those things that i try to distract my mind from thinking through. I want to come to the point where i am able to be honest with not only the Lord and others, but also with myself. I also would like to stretch myself in that "labor of thinking"; nothing worthwile ever comes with out a little hard work.

No comments:

Blog Archive

new layout