Sunday, October 4, 2009

Buster

Friday September 25th, 2009
I met a new friend.

the night before when i had gotten off of work, I just got this brilliant desire to go on a walk in the morning while my roomie had prayer group. A walk that i had not gone on before. an area of about 4 1/2 miles. not too bad, basically circling around the entirety of Graceville (so yes, this does mean that Graceville is a town of about 4 1/2 miles...theres other roads, but the main road is the one i was on...)
Well, i got up, did my devo, got ready and headed out. I am a person that LOVES walks! I love being out in the outdoors! I love jamming to my iPod shuffle and enjoying the heat from the sun on my shoulders. its BEAUTIFUL!!
But this day was different. even though it was an UTERLY gorgeous morning. even though I was listening to possibly one of the best books Ive ever read/listened to, Crazy Love by Francis Chan(Thanks Colby, great reconmendation!!!). And even though I had been SO excited the night before...i dont know, i just wasnt feeling it. I had begun to debate whether to cut this trip short and turn down the next road to get back to campus, then i turned the corner and as this complete dread of being out there struck me, my mind reverted back to reality.
I began to try to process what i was thinking.
I didnt understand it. I had been so excited! i was listening to Francis Chan talking about how COMPLETELY AMAZING God is while walking around in this gorgeous morning in God's CREATION!!! There was something so wrong with this picture to me, and i became convicted. as i walked on, i began to pray. "God, this walk may not have begun focused on you, but here i am in your creation hearing about how amazing you are and so for the rest of this trip, Its yours to...."
and i didnt even finish my prayer before i met Buster.
Buster is a dog, and he crossed the street to meet me. The gentleman that was working in his yard tried to call him back home, and he went reluctantly only to return to me a few moments later. I tried to tell him that he had to go home, but he just wasn't having it. The gentleman had given up on trying to call him back to the yard, instead he had resorted to getting Buster's owner.
At first i debated on what i should do. Then, I cant explain my next thought with anything else but that it came from the Lord, but i walked Buster back to his yard as his owner was walking out. I walked up to Buster's owner, half shouting from where i was because buster was already running crazy around the yard. and well, the conversation went kinda like this:

Me: Sir i know im a COMPLETE stranger, but it is such a beautiful day and im out here just taking a walk, and well, if you wouldn't mind, i could walk your dog for you...?
Mr. Tim(Buster's Owner): uh, well, (face shocked sorta contempating) sure! do you go on walks alot cause you can walk him whenever you want to, just come on by and get his leash!

The rest is pretty much history, I introduced myself, he introduced himself, i got the dogs leash and Buster accompanied me on my walk. which included him wrapping around me several times, (he was a pretty sized pup. so i had to do this twirl motion to untangle us.) my ipod fell out of my ear at one point so with a water bottle in one hand, the leash in the other, i had to figure out how to put the earpieces back in and switch back to where i was in the book...(a task i never quite accomplished)...and, well it was a HOT morning. so at one point in the walk, Buster just kinda refused to go on. i had tuckered him out! so he sat right on down. i had to try to find him water, which i just led him over to a lil puddle thing...
I brought him on campus to meet some friends and let him rest and got him water before taking him back to his home.
It was an awesome day! so full of surprise!
i mean, it was one of those, "Man, God is SO AMAZING!!! Im forever surprised by Him!" kinda days. those days always excite me to no end.
I havent gotten to go back yet, but i most definitely will. the only time i really have to go on a walk though is either 6am any day or Friday at like 9am. I think I'll go back soon!

3 comments:

Pelt Family said...

Very cute story. Add dog walking to your resume of things you can do.

Annie B. said...

yay! love it! I can totally picture it!

beckers said...

yep, and annie, when i relayed the story to Ms Shaw and Brittany they said that i sounded just like you. that they had forgotten for a second that they were talking with me and thought they were talking with you.

i took it as a compliment in case you wanted to know...

new layout