Monday, May 25, 2009

Im at camp!

I signed up a couple months ago for lifeguard training, but i freaked myself out the more i thought about it so i backed out. then my Camp boss messaged me on facebook, 3 more people backed out of the lifeguarding, leaving them in a pickel. So, (and this was yesterday), i packed and shoved the remainder of my stuff from school in my car (got everything but my bike in) and left for Camp Victory after church last night.
When I arrived, I was welcomed by the ant pile, that was freshly surfaced by the week of rain we've had, right beside my car. My feet were completely swarmed with ants and left me with around 14 ant bites.
I was able to get my duffle bag in my cabin, and got settled pretty quick. I was then faced with an empty cabin and nothing to do. as i was reading, i got a big knock on my door. My lifeguard instructor/teacher guy was at the door along with one of the other guys that were doing the lifeguard training with me, they just wanted to give me my lifeguard manual.

so Now its the end of my first day of lifeguard training. can i just take a minute and say that i never in a million years would picture myself as a lifeguard. im not that great a swimmer and today has proved that. this is a bubble-popping experience. (i have difficulty jolting myself out and onto the side of the pool. and i can hardly kick well which is a kinda important thing to be able to do when SAVING someone, and theres this thing where i have to walk into the deep end with the floaty thing and im supposed to just sorta bounce in thewater, but my head is supposed to pretty much stay out of the water...yeah not good at that, i just kinda sink.) It gets better though. Im one of three people in the class, and im the only girl! yeah. Its not too too bad though. we had to swim 300yrds. which was 21 laps for the pool we were in. We had to "rescue" a victim a bunch of different ways, enter the pool in a couple different ways, sit in a class basically all day, and we got to put together a manican (which was pretty fun actually). hehe and its rained all day at various times, so we would run out, do our pool stuff, then run back in before the rain came.
Its good though. i might sound like a Debbie Downer, but its a good bubble popping experience. this is just what has gone on through my mind. its difficult and a little discouraging when the guys jump in and do everything perfect and make it look so easy, then i jump in and i struggle with everything.

So in case you were wondering. I am in Hacoda, Alabama. Which is 5 miles from Samson, Alabama. My phone doesn't get any service at all and I dont foresee being able to get on my computer much so its back to the good ole Snail Mail. Ill probably write home a bunch. and ill blog at least a quick blurb here and there when i can. Once i get through the lifeguard training, my mind will be more at ease.
for now, good night. Love you all.

No comments:

new layout