Saturday, January 23, 2010

my morning in mass

Today has been interesting because i am taking a class on Evangelizing Catholics and as part of an assignment we have to visit a Mass. Today, i went to a Saturday morning Mass with my friends Patty, Ben and Phillip. the experience was similar to the times in the past when i went with my mom's side of the family to a Christening or to a funeral in that its very ritual and rigid. there is a set way that Church is done. You come in, sit quietly, stand up, recite lines together, read a verse, sit down, repeat the process a couple times, take communion (which we opted out of), and then stand up, recite some more, kneel, sit, be dismissed. My one thought is that they say in their prayers for the Lord to be with them and to guide them, but they are so rigid in saying so, its just words. there is no relationship. its all ritual.
i have to attend another Mass service though because there was only 8 ppl at that one and our professor would like us to experience one with about 300 or so people in attendance, some number gaps could be overlooked but i think this one is a tad bit of a stretch...
This class is teaching me much and will stretch me much. my mom's entire side of the family is Catholic and ive not really ever understood their beliefs and how they differ from mine. Its also a difficult one because Catholic faith uses the Bible too so this is challenging me to really understand what im reading which is difficult, but rewarding at the same time.

I Love It!

No comments:

new layout